Low Impact Production
Our maple trees our most important asset, so we want to do everything possible to protect and preserve them and the environment they live in. To this end we created strict guidelines for ourselves to do our part to protect the health of our trees.
1. We use no pesticides, herbicides or fertilizers of any kind.
2. We do not use formaldehyde tablets in our production process.
3. We use only 5/16 inch diameter spiles for tapping (rather than the 7/16 inch diameter)
4. We use tubing rather than buckets to minimize traffic in the woods and damage to the soil and root systems. Our sap runs to one main collection point along the road.
5. Our wood fired evaporator has a 12 port air injection system for complete combustion of the wood and gases in the fire box, giving off no smoke.
6. The wood used to fuel the evaporator is scrap wood collected from local sawmills and lumber yards. We never cut down trees for fire wood.
7. Our evaporator is fabricated from stainless steel and does not contain lead solder.
8. We use a steam hood with a preheater to maximize boiling efficiency and reduce burn time. The steam from the boiling sap is reused to heat the cold fresh sap before entering the boiling pans.
9. We do not use commercial de-foaming agents in the boiling process.
10. We clean our tubing at the end of the season with distilled vinegar, rather than chemical cleaners.